Narali Bhat (Sweet Coconut Rice)
Cooking time (approx.): 45 minutes
Style: Maharashtrian Vegetarian
- 300 grams Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 200 grams Rice
- 200 grams Grated coconut
- 10-12 Raisins
- 2 teaspoons Cardamom powder
- 5 strands Saffron
- 4 Almonds/Cashew Nuts
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Ghee
- 7 Cloves
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Drain in a colander for at least 2 hours. Soak the saffron in 1 tbsp warm milk.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add 1 cup of water and cook the rice till the grains are separate and tender but not over cooked.
- Add the sugar and coconut while the rice is still hot. Cook over a low flame, stirring occasionally but and gently.
- When the rice starts to boil, reduce the heat to minimum and stir in the lime juice. Cover the pan and let the rice steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Take off fire and mix in the cardamom powder, saffron and 3-4 teaspoons of ghee.
- Serve hot or chilled, garnished with raisins and slivers of almonds.